Mano a Mano’s recovered resources program collects donated medical supplies, mobiilty equipment, and other items in Minnesota for shipment to Bolivia, where they are distributed to people and organizations in need throughout the country. We shipped 7 containers with 180,180 pounds of medical supplies and equipment from Minnesota to Bolivia in 2021. 276 organizations in Bolivia received supplies and equipment from Mano a Mano last year.
- 2021 Summary of Medical Distributions in Bolivia
- Mano a Mano’s Prosthesis Program in Bolivia
- A Look Back At What We Did Together in 2021 – Mano a Mano 2021 Annual Report
Distributing Medical Supplies and Equipment in the Twin Cities and to Organizations Working Around the World
While the primary mission of our surplus distribution program is to provide supplies for Bolivia, we have also expanded this program since 2020 to distribute durable medical equipment to individuals in need in the Twin Cities, and to provide supplies for other nonprofits working in other countries. We are happy to partner with other organizations when we have excess supplies, items that we cannot send to Bolivia, or items that are not the highest priority for our programs. Ultimately, we want to keep these supplies out of the landfill in Minnesota, and get them to people in need.
Part of this is because shipping costs have risen dramatically since the start of the pandemic; we have also simply been receiving a larger quantity of in-kind donations at our St. Paul warehouse. Because of those factors, we have made it a priority to find other people and organizations that can put our excess supplies to use.
- Total Pounds Collected: 348,076 pounds of donated medical supplies and equipment came through our doors in 2021.
- Total Pounds Sorted and Distributed: Mano a Mano volunteers sorted, palletized, shipped, and donated 236,584 pounds.
- Total Pounds Sent to Bolivia: 180,180 pounds were shipped to Bolivia and distributed to 276 organizations. We distributed 10,361 mobility aids.
- Total Pounds Given to Other Organizations: A total of 57,438 pounds were given to other organizations with programs in the US and around the world (some of these items were processed/shipped in 2020).
- Total Mobility Items Distributed Locally: In addition, we distributed 714 vital pieces of physical therapy equipment to 528 individuals in the Twin Cities area.
Volunteers Contributed 14,903 Hours in 2021
- Working as a Student Intern – St. Kate’s Article in “The Wheel”
- Article in UMN School of Public Health ‘Advances Magazine’
- Volunteer Spotlight: Larry Refurbishes Sewing Machines for Bolivia
- Volunteer Spotlight: Dianne Making Layettes in South Dakota for Newborns in Bolivia
- Thanks to our Metro State Social Work Field Placement students that have spent 20 hours a week working at Mano a Mano’s office/warehouse in St. Paul for the Fall 2021 semester!
- Happy 95th Birthday to a Very Special Mano a Mano Volunteer
- Virtual Speaker Series: Mano a Mano Co-Founder Segundo Velasquez on Thursday, January 28th, 2021
- Mano a Mano Speaker Series on April 22nd, 2021: Indigenous Consultation and Lithium Development in Bolivia
- 46,000+ Pounds of Supplies Are on Their Way to Bolivia
- Bolivian Teachers Apply Workshop Learning in Their Classrooms
- Mano a Mano Virtual Update: Tuesday, November 16th from 12-1pm
- Wisconsin Fire Equipment in Action in Bolivia
Working to Support the Environment Locally
- Overall, we received 348,076 pounds of supplies in 2021; almost all of those supplies would have ended up in local landfills.
- We properly recycled 4,715 pounds of paper and cardboard, and 3,713 pounds of metal.
- We produced 2,855.876 Watts of our own power in 2021 through the solar panels we installed on our warehouse in 2018. According to the EPA, 1 Kilowatt-hour of clean energy production offsets 1.6 pounds of carbon dioxide.
- We are grateful to have received an “Honorable Mention” from the Environmental Initiative Awards in their large-scale sustainability impacts category in 2021!
- Article in Midway Como Frogtown Monitor: “Non-profit sends medical supplies to Bolivia – and shares surplus at home. Mano a Mano keeps medical supplies out of landfills”
Donations of Supplies to Other People & Organizations
Our local donation program is to help individuals in the Twin Cities area who lack insurance coverage or the financial means to obtain durable medical equipment commercially. We distributed 714 pieces of physical therapy equipment to 528 individuals who could not afford these items.
Two nonprofit organizations that we have worked with for years are HERO Fargo in Fargo, North Dakota and MATTER in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. We will exchange supplies that are a better fit or higher priority for each other’s programs on a regular basis. About half of our total donations of supplies to other organizations are to these two nonprofits.
We also provided supplies to Helping Hands USA in Chicago, Global Links in Pittsburgh, Falswar International Charity in Brooklyn Park, and other people and organizations supporting projects in countries including Liberia, Ghana, Cameroon, Jordan, El Salvador, and Honduras, among others.
Learn More About Donations of Supplies to Other People & Organizations
- Helping Distribute Desks From Minnesota Tool Library to St. Paul Kids Learning Remotely
- Exchanging Supplies with HERO Fargo – March 2021
- Donating Durable Medical Equipment in the Twin Cities – Saturday, April 24th
- Distributing Mobility Aids in the Twin Cities
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, May 22nd at Mano a Mano
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, May 8th at Mano a Mano
- What Happens to Medical Donations We Can’t Ship to Bolivia?
- Medical Equipment Giveaway on June 19th & Shipping 2 Containers of Medical Supplies to Bolivia
- Thank You Physical Therapists!
- Mano a Mano Receives 8th Consecutive 4-Star Rating From Charity Navigator
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, June 5th at Mano a Mano
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, July 17th
- Halfway Through 2021: Mano a Mano Mid-Year Update
- Donating Supplies for Distribution in Jordan
- Recovered Resources Program This Week: Donating Supplies in Minnesota & Bolivia
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, September 11th
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, October 9th
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, November 20th
- Containers Leaving Our Minnesota Warehouse & Containers Arriving at Our Bolivia Warehouse
- Mano a Mano Article in the Longfellow Nokomis Messenger
- Loading Containers for Bolivia
- Mobility Equipment for Global Links
- Durable Medical Equipment Giveaway on Saturday, December 18th
Pictures From Our St. Paul Office in 2021