Measurable Outcomes with Sustainable Results. Since 1994:
- Shipped 4 million pounds of medical, school, and construction supplies valued at $16 million to Bolivia that would have ended up in Minnesota landfills. We have shipped 203,747 pounds from Minnesota to Bolivia in 2019.
- Built 170 clinics that provide comprehensive health care access to 800,000 Bolivians. Our clinic program’s approach is that health outcomes can be dramatically improved with simple yet effective interventions, beginning with the basic ability to consistently access quality services in their own communities.
- Constructed or improved 1,200 miles of roads helping isolated communities connect to larger markets. Travel time can be reduced from days to a few hours.
- Constructed 9 large agricultural water reservoirs, 52 surface wells, and 400 water ponds (atajados). Access to water improves crop yields and quality for Bolivian farmers, which improves nutrition and can double or triple a family’s income.
- Built 64 schools, along with teacher housing and community bathrooms, that provide access to quality education to rural children.
- Provided emergency air rescue to more than 3,500 patients for life-saving medical treatment.
All of these projects began with a request from the local community, and were built in collaboration with them and the local government. Every single one of these projects continues to operate today, with no direct ongoing funding from Mano a Mano (read more about our model).
Slideshow – Mano a Mano: Creating Partnerships to Improve Lives
Programs for Ongoing Support
We continue to provide education and training, maintenance, and adequate supplies to all projects we have built. These projects can vary from continuing health education workshops for our doctors and nurses in clinics, community maintenance days for road and water projects, agricultural training, and providing school supplies, medical supplies and equipment, and construction supplies that are donated in the US and then shipped to Bolivia.
Mano a Mano Project Map
Check out more individual Mano a Mano projects on our interactive project map.