Our counterpart organization Mano a Mano Internacional has 2 main program areas:
- Distributing medical supplies and mobility equipment sent from Minnesota to people in need throughout Bolivia
- Training, education, and learning programs:
- Agriculture education & training provided through our Center for Ecological Agriculture (CEA) in Cochabamba, Bolivia
- Physical therapy
- Teacher training
- Other pilot programs and research projects that fit a relevant need
Distributing Medical Supplies and Mobility Equipment Sent From Minnesota Throughout Bolivia
In 2022, Mano a Mano shipped 9 40-foot containers with 220,704 pounds of supplies from Minnesota to Bolivia. Distributing medical supplies & equipment is managed by our St. Paul, Minnesota office and received by our counterpart organization Mano a Mano Internacional in Cochabamba, who then distributes supplies throughout Bolivia.
Geographic Locations of Types of Institutions That Received Supplies and Equipment From Mano A Mano Internacional In 2022
Mano a Mano distributed supplies to 293 organizations across all 9 departments of Bolivia – in 67 municipalities and 1,088 communities. 194 of these 293 receiving organizations were primary care clinics; 27 were 2nd and 3rd level hospitals; 72 recipients were churches, nonprofits, orphanages, schools and universities, and other civic organizations; and in addition 71 individuals received supplies.
- 246 wheelchairs
- 463 walkers
- 2,340 pairs of crutches
- 3,493 canes
- Other items including specialty wheelchairs, walkers with seats and wheels, etc.
- We also provided prosthetics for 12 individuals
The number of mobility aids is down from the 10,000+ we distributed in 2021, but still in line with our number of mobility aids distributed in previous years (7,293 in 2020 and 6,426 in 2019). This is mainly because we are sending less of these items from Minnesota; our primary source of these items throughout our history stopped their collection of these items about a year ago, so we have had to spend much more time and resources searching for mobility equipment to send (and mobility equipment is one of our most in-demand, high priority items year after year). When we have less mobility equipment available, we prioritize sending items to people with severe or permanent conditions and supporting primary care clinics in rural areas.
20,289 Volunteer Hours
Volunteers contributed 20,289 volunteer hours with Mano a Mano Internacional in 2022. This encompasses a wide variety of projects that we do through Mano a Mano Internacional: volunteering and internship experiences at our Center for Ecological Agriculture; organizing medical supplies and mobility equipment for distribution (3,371 people spent 13,481 hours on this never-ending process!); and volunteering and internship experiences through our Physical Therapy program. These volunteer hours only include time spent with our counterpart organization Mano a Mano Internacional and do not include the thousands of hours of volunteer time contributed with our 4 other counterpart organizations (3 in Cochabamba and 1 in St. Paul, Minnesota).
Learn More About Our Medical Surplus Distributions in Bolivia in 2022
- Donating Firefighting Equipment and Medical Supplies for SAR-FAB in Cochabamba – August 6th, 2022
- 2021 Summary of Medical Distributions in Bolivia
- What Do We Do With the Shipping Containers We Send to Bolivia from Minnesota?
- Layettes Sent With Love to Moms in Bolivia
- Distributing Medical Supplies and Equipment for Cochabamba-Area Clinics and Ambulances
- 35+ Tons of Supplies Ready to Go from Minnesota to Bolivia
Center for Ecological Agriculture in 2022
In 2022, Mano a Mano Internacional provided guided tours to 1,194 visitors (mostly students) and implemented 100 workshops for 2,076 participants, 569 of whom were farmers (the others include professionals, students, teachers, and volunteers). This number of workshops is the most we have hosted through our CEA (there were 68 in 2019, 8 in 2020, and 41 in 2021 as we slowly got back on track post-severe-COVID). Most of these workshops happen onsite at our CEA in Cochabamba, but we also travel to provide workshops in rural communities or at agronomy institutes in rural areas.
Learn More About CEA Projects in 2022
- Universidad Nacional “Siglo XX” Students Feed the Chickens at Mano a Mano’s CEA in Cochabamba
- Training Farmers to Prepare Organic Fertilizer in Arampampa, Bolivia
- Providing a Week-Long Agriculture Seminar in Cochabamba
- Moving Another Step Forward in Mano a Mano’s Long-Term Sustainability
- 5-Day Agriculture Workshop for Universidad “Siglo XX” Students
- Improving the Water Well at Mano a Mano’s Center for Ecological Agriculture in Cochabamba, Bolivia
Other Training & Education Projects
Over the past year, we completed a new office building in Bolivia so that all 4 of our counterpart organizations have their own permanent space that is not connected to our co-founders. This new office building hosts our physical therapy program, which in its first year provided intensive treatment for 30 young children with challenges requiring specialized PT support; made specialized equipment available to 40 additional children; trained 20 physical therapists and 5 interns; and trained 30 caregivers (mostly parents) to assist the child who is in their care.
We also expanded our teacher training programs. This project builds on a teacher training pilot project undertaken by Mano a Mano from 2013-2018. The pilot concluded with the publication and testing of a training manual in June of 2019. In 2022, our goal was to improve the education offered to rural Bolivian public school students with an emphasis on interactive learning through use of conceptual maps. During our search process for a qualified teacher to help manage this project, the Normal Simon school, located about 15 miles from our Center for Ecological Agriculture (CEA) in Cochabamba, approached Mano a Mano with a request: could we provide agriculture-related training for their students. Given that Normal students would be teaching in rural schools, the faculty wanted them to be better prepared to include lessons in their classroom teaching that rural students and their parents would find relevant to their daily lives. In addition to providing agricultural training, CEA staff saw this request as an opportunity to provide training on interactive and conceptual maps to students whose teaching practices are in the formation stage, ones who are most likely to integrate new methods into their classroom teaching. We are expanding this teacher training to other communities over the next few years.
Learn More about Mano a Mano Internacional’s Training & Education Programs in 2022
- Teacher Training Project with Normal Simon Bolivar
- Mano a Mano Teacher Trips Training Manual
- Workshop for Parents of Children Enrolled in Physical Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Workshop in Cochabamba, Bolivia: April 8-10, 2022
- Meeting Specialized Equipment Needs of Severely Disabled Children and Adults in Bolivia
- Training Workshop for 19 Physical Therapists in Cochabamba (November 2022)