Join Us July 17 for our Talk Series with Mano a Mano Co-Founders: “Bi-Cultural Competence: Essential to Effective Cross-National Work”
The fourth talk of our Speaker Series is with Mano a Mano co-founders Joan & Segundo Velasquez and Marilyn E. Vigil, Professor Emerita Metropolitan State University; they will be discussing “Bi-Cultural Competence: Essential to Effective Cross-National Work.”
- WHAT: Mano a Mano Talk Series – “Bi-Cultural Competence: Essential to Effective Cross-National Work” with Joan & Segundo Velasquez and Marilyn E. Vigil
- WHEN: Tuesday, July 17 from 6:30pm to 7:45pm
- WHERE: Mano a Mano International, 925 Pierce Butler Route, St. Paul, MN 55104
- RSVP: Please RSVP by Email or Phone to the Office (email: email@example.com, phone: 651-457-3141)
About our Presenters for July 17:
- Marilyn E. Vigil, Professor Emerita Metropolitan State University. Marilyn holds a BA in sociology from Macalester College and AM from the University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration. Co-Founder of Metropolitan State’s BSW program, she formerly taught at the University of Minnesota School of Social Work. She previously served as Minnesota’s Human Rights Commissioner and Executive Director of Neighborhood House Association and has over 30 years social work practice experience in multiple settings.
- Joan Velasquez Ph. D, Mano a Mano International Co-Founder. Joan earned a BA in sociology from Macalester College, a Master’s degree in Social Service Administration from Western Reserve University, and a Ph.D. in Social Work from University of Minnesota – Minneapolis. After serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Bolivia, she worked for Ramsey County MN for 25 years in mental health, program development, and research. She has published a dozen articles in professional journals. Her book, Gaining Ground: A Blueprint for Community Based International Development won a Midwest Independent Publishers Award in 2015.
- Segundo Velasquez, Mano a Mano International Co-Founder. Segundo earned a BA degree from Metropolitan State University, is licensed as an aviation airframe and powerplant technician and has over 30 years experience in the airline industry. He is a fluent Spanish, English, and Quechua speaker. In 1994, Joan and Segundo founded Mano a Mano International Partners. Since then, Segundo has worked full time for Mano a Mano on a pro-bono basis.
Please RSVP by Email or Phone to the Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 651-457-3141)
Please help us make these series of talks a fun and informative gathering of like-minded people looking to expand their knowledge. You are welcome to bring your friends, and if you or a friend of yours would like to be a presenter we will be happy to accommodate a date – just contact us via e-mail or phone for details.
Thank you very much and looking forward to see you soon!
Mano a Mano Talk Series
We are delighted to invite you to our series of talks and discussions on “indigenous peoples and their environments.” We at Mano a Mano want to engage with researchers and practitioners working with indigenous peoples on development and environmental issues. Our goal is to share and learn from each other and to support the indigenous peoples we serve.